Medically the review by Amy Richter, RD, Nutrition — written by Rachel Nall, MSN, CRNA on might 18, 2021

Silica gelatin packets aid keep moisture far from items. Generally included in the packaging of brand-new items, they are usually small, white packets. A person may wrong silica gel packets because that sugar or salt and consume them, which can have disadvantage effects, specifically for youngsters or pets.

You are watching: What happens if a dog eats silica gel


This post describes silica gel, that ingredients, and the results of usage on adults, children, and pets.


*
Share on PinterestGetty Images
Silica gel is a kind of silicon dioxide, a mineral found in quartz. Follow to the Arizona Poison and also Drug information Center, the mineral is a desiccant, which means it is a “super-soaker” since it can absorb up to 40% the its weight in water. Manufacturers put silica gelatin packets in packaging to help maintain dryness and freshness in products and to aid prevent mold and spoilage. They are frequently found in animal leather goods, such as shoes and purses, and in electronics and also display cases.

Silica gelatin is normally nontoxic, and also the human body eliminates the substance. However eating a big amount the the substance could cause an upset stomach in both humans and animals.

Sometimes, manufacturers add a substance referred to as cobalt chloride come the silica gel. It shows humidity, together its color alters on exposure come moisture. But cobalt chloride deserve to be toxic.


What wake up if a human being eats silica gel?

Sometimes, a person deserve to mistake silica gel packets because that the ones the contain sugar or salt, and may consume them. Silica gelatin packets are generally nontoxic unless coated in cobalt chloride. It may be difficult to recognize if the product contains cobalt chloride. Due to the fact that of this, a human being should call the American combination of Poison manage Centers at 1-800-222-1222 if they ingest the silica gel packets.

For the most part, consuming silica gel packets need to not cause any kind of adverse results in adults.


What to execute if a kid has eaten it

While silica gelatin is generally nontoxic, ingestion of the packets can reason choking in children. If a human being notices a child choking, lock should contact 911 and also provide very first aid. A person needs come be conscious that forceful coughing deserve to sometimes be mistaken for choking.

See more: How Do You Spell Tomato Plural Of Potato And Tomato? Tomatos Or Tomatoes

If a child is larger than age 1, a person can perform the Heimlich maneuver to effort to dislodge the packet. Lock should:

stand behind the child and also wrap your arms roughly the child’s waistmake a fist with one hand, with the ignorance pointing toward the children stomach placed the fist in the room below the children chest and above the child’s belly switch grabbing the fist through the other hand, make a quick, forceful press upward toward the abdomen repeat as vital until the packet dislodges

If the boy is younger than age 1, one adult should host the child confront down on your forearm, with the arm relaxing on their upper thigh. A person can then usage the heel of their various other hand come strike the child between the shoulder blades. They may need to supply several strikes before the packet dislodges.

Regardless of the child’s age, a human should not put their finger in the children mouth. Act so might potentially cause the packet to walk farther right into the child’s airway.

If a son swallowed one or much more packets yet is not choking, this online tool from Poison control may provide guidance, or a person can call 1-800-222-1222. Advice may incorporate giving the kid a few sips of water to help reduce any type of mouth discomfort and also to ensure they will not choking or have trouble swallowing after eat the gel packet.


Pet food manufacturers may add silicon gel packets to pet food packaging to reduce moisture and potential mold that would certainly spoil the food. But the silica gelatin packets deserve to retain the food smell, and also pets may eat them.

According come the American culture for the prevention of Cruelty to Animals, if a pets eats silica gel packets, they might experience stomach upset and also diarrhea. If the animal consumed big amounts the silica gel, it might be at hazard for intestinal obstruction. Symptom of this condition in pet include:

appetite lose bloating diarrheahunchingvomiting whining

If a person’s pet has consumed silica gel, they must seek veterinarian attention.