Notes• all questions around borders/neighbors/adjacent states take into consideration land borders only.
You are watching: Which state borders the least states
• any kind of consideration of size provides total area (as protest to strictly land area – though i don’t believe any type of size questions should be ambiguous one of two people way).• Inset claims are not to scale.• Landlocked states perform not border any kind of ocean, gulf, or good Lake.• The states at the 4 corners (UT, CO, AZ, NM) every border each other.Walkthrough
1. Click biggest US StateAlaska is the largest state (even if the map inset no to scale), an ext than twice as large as Texas, the second largest state.
2. Select the state that directly precedes Alaska in alphabetical order.Alabama is the first state alphabetically (preceding Alaska, i m sorry is second).
3. Click the state that borders the most good Lakes.Michigan has actually the most good Lake borders with four (all except Ontario). No other state borders an ext than two good Lakes.
4. That the states remaining with international land borders, click the one that boundaries the fewest various other states.Maine is the only U.S. State that has specifically 1 border with one more state, and it also borders Canada. (Alaska borders 0 various other states and also Canada, however was already chosen in step 1).
5. Now choose the state the is the biggest distance away from Maine.Hawaii, at over 5,000 mile from Maine, is conveniently the best distance native Maine.
6. Click the state through the longest coast in the contiguous U.S.Florida has the longest shore in the contiguous us at 1,350 miles. California is 2nd at 840 miles. (Alaska has over 6,000 mile of coastline but is already chosen and additionally not in the contiguous 48).
7. Choose the largest remaining state the has exactly 2 state borders.Washington, Florida, southern Carolina, and also Rhode Island have exactly 2 borders with other states. Washington is the largest of this (and Florida, i beg your pardon is fairly close to Washington in size, was currently chosen).
8. Pick the biggest state that boundaries a state beginning with the letter ‘T’.Tennessee and Texas space the just two ‘T’ states. Tennessee’s largest neighbor is Missouri (21st in size). Texas borders brand-new Mexico, the 5th largest state (and none of the top 4 border a ‘T’ state).
9. Of the says with 4-letter names, choose the one that’s very first alphabetically.Iowa, Ohio, and Utah space the just 3 options here, v Iowa coming very first alphabetically.
10. Pick the most populous remaining state the doesn’t border Mexico.The three many populous US states are California, Texas, and new York. California and Texas both border Mexico, so brand-new York is the exactly answer.
11. Of the landlocked states that don’t border one more country, uncover the one through the fewest state borders.This step entails a the majority of counting, since there are 12 landlocked claims without international borders. Below is the perform (numbers in parentheses room bordering state counts): Tennessee (8), Kentucky (7), Colorado (7), Wyoming (6), Utah (6), southern Dakota (6), Iowa (6), Arkansas (6), Oklahoma (6), Nevada (5), West Virginia (5), Kansas (4).
12. Click the very first state alphabetically the doesn’t start with a vowel.No state begins with ‘B’, so California is ours answer.
13. Next, uncover the state with the shortest name in the east Time Zone.No state has a name much shorter than 4-letters, and also as we experienced in action 9, there room two 4-letter states staying (Ohio and also Utah). The east Time Zone expand as much West as Michigan and also parts the Indiana, so Ohio is completely within the (Utah is in the hill Time Zone).
14. Click the just remaining state with a ‘B’ in that name.Alabama & Nebraska room the only two says containing a ‘B’. Alabama’s been chosen, for this reason it’s Nebraska.
15. Uncover the 2nd smallest state that borders a currently clicked state.The the smallest US says in order are Rhode Island (borders no clicked states), Delaware (borders no clicked states), Connecticut (borders new York, which is clicked), and new Jersey (also borders brand-new York). Because Connecticut is the smallest one bordering a clicked state, the makes brand-new Jersey the second smallest installation the criteria.
16. Click the state v the lowest percentage of collection in that name out of the claims that border Iowa.Some much more counting to do below – Iowa borders 5 says that haven’t been clicked yet.Illinois (4/8 vowels) Missouri (4/8 vowels) Minnesota (4/9 vowels)South Dakota (5/11 vowels) Wisconsin (3/9 vowels)
17. Uncover the state v the most unclicked border states.The says with the many neighbors space Missouri and also Tennessee, i beg your pardon each have 8. Missouri has actually 3 clicked neighbors and also Tennessee has only 1 (leaving it with 7 unclicked). Colorado and Kentucky both have actually 7 neighbors however each have actually at least 1 clicked, for this reason they’re excluded. Tennessee must be the answer.
18. Find the state continuing to be that ends with ‘N’.Oregon gives your brain a little of a rest from counting points on this step.
19. Next, click the biggest remaining state located totally west the Arkansas.Texas is the biggest remaining state, but its easternmost reaches extend past the west border of Arkansas. The next biggest unclicked state is Montana, i beg your pardon is entirely west the Arkansas.
20. Discover the state the shares the longest soil border with any kind of state that has been clicked.The longest border between two US states is Oklahoma-Texas, however neither the these has actually been clicked. Second is California-Nevada, and California is clicked so that makes Nevada the choice.
21. Of claims left through no clicked neighbors, find the one through the shortest funding city name.Only 4 states have actually no clicked neighbors: Louisiana (Baton Rouge), Rhode Island (Providence), Maryland (Annapolis), south Carolina (Columbia). Southern Carolina has the shortest capital (8 letters).
22. Uncover the state bordering the Gulf that Mexico the extends the the furthest North.The Gulf the Mexico boundaries Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and also Florida. That these, Texas has actually the many northerly point.
23. Click the only remaining state that was admitted into the union after ~ 1910. (It’s additionally the biggest state the isn’t presently clicked.)Arizona was the 48th state (with just Alaska & Hawaii coming after it), and also it’s also 6th largest (with the optimal 5 already being favored in the quiz).
24. Now click the state through the longest one-word name of the states that are left.Massachusetts, at 13 letters, is the longest one-word state, clicked or otherwise!
25. Identify the only state left without any kind of clicked neighbors, & click the only state bordering it with a pro sports team.A couple of steps ago, we identified that Louisiana, Rhode Island, Maryland, and also South Carolina had no clicked neighbors. Since then, the selection of southern Carolina, Texas, and also Massachusetts have left us v Maryland as the final state without a clicked neighbor. Pennsylvania its only bordering state with a sports team, together Delaware, West Virginia, and also Virginia have none.
26. Click the southernmost of the 13 initial colonies.Georgia to be the southernmost original colony and also has not yet to be clicked, so click the now!
27. Now select the only remaining state that borders Saskatchewan.That would be north Dakota. Idaho boundaries Alberta, Minnesota boundaries Ontario and Manitoba.
28. Choose the state that ends in a consonant and has a 2-word capital city.Five of the remaining states have 2-word capitals:Jefferson City, Missouri Oklahoma City, Oklahoma small Rock, ArkansasBaton Rouge, Louisiana Saint Paul, MinnesotaArkansas is the just of these finishing in a consonant. (Iowa, brand-new Mexico, and Nevada likewise have 2-word capitals, but are clicked and likewise end in vowels).
29. Which state, if clicked, will reason 3 the its bordering claims to rise from 4 come 5 clicked neighbors?Let’s look at for states that right now have 4 clicked neighbors, as our answer must border one of these.
See more: How Long Does Norflex Stay In Your System ? Orphenadrine
30. 2 states continue to be that border Lake Michigan. Finish with the one whose funding is additionally its biggest city.Indiana is the one friend want, since Springfield is no the largest city in Illinois. Now you’re done!